Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Friday, February 27, 2009

Tagging

I am referring to tagging your items for sale on Etsy. Last night I stumbled upon two threads in the forums about searching/tagging. "Can you find what you are looking for on Etsy?" and "Sellers: Could you please tag your items correctly?" I see that there are more threads related to this that have either recently been created or bumped up the list.


I find this interesting, because I changed my tags on five cutting boards yesterday and placed them in the "weddings" category. They usually reside in the woodworking category. I did this to market to those shopping in the wedding section, to make them aware that a cutting board would be an excellent wedding or housewarming gift! I also purchased a Wedding Showcase for this Sunday. I guess I see tagging as a marketing tool.


I think that Etsy makes the suggestions for tagging so confusing. And if Etsy is going to have these rules, then why aren't they enforcing them? Many complaints have been made because high volume sellers/top sellers/sellers on the front page seem to be mistagged. You decide. Comment here. :)

Photo by
Everydotandtittle's shop on Etsy.

4 comments:

Unknown February 27, 2009 at 8:23 AM  

I, too, find Etsy's tagging "system" confusing and not specific enough to suit me. Many discussions this a.m. on subject.

TheClayMuse February 27, 2009 at 10:26 AM  

I'm personaly deathly afraid that I've mistagged things! Silly I know... and with my dragons lightened up in editing and ready to list.. I've stalled out.. I have no idea how to tag them.. like what category to even put them in first!

Joyce February 27, 2009 at 11:54 AM  

Well...I guess jewelry is easy. Though I was once asked why I didn't put some of my stuff in the geekery category if it's inspired by anime/video games. It just doesn't seem right to me.

Also, a lot of words are very subjective. Like, "simple" and "long". What's long earrings to you may not be long earrings to me. O well, just have to learn to work the system :)

KayzKreationz February 28, 2009 at 8:36 AM  

I'm never quite sure how to tag my items. I'm sure I miss some opportunities, because I'm always worried someone will flag me for mistagging if I try something different to get my glass noticed. Thanks for the post. Very interesting.
http://KayzKreationz.blogspot.com
http://KayzKreationz.etsy.com

The Basics

Michael and Talina Ripper met online and when they met in person, they knew they had found something special, a once in a lifetime love. Michael obtained BFAs in both Wood Design and Ceramics from ECU. Talina has always been a creative/artistic spirit, but has her BSN from ETSU and still works as an RN. Talina has three sons, Seth (17), Aaron (8), and Jacob (7). Michael and Talina have a son together, Quinn, who is 17 months. They are getting settled in their downtown loft just around the corner from Michael's studio and the gallery. Their dream of living their art is coming true!

Followers

More Sponsors:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP